The convent of Our Lady of
Fidelity was established in 1848. The Foundress, Mother Saint Mary, came to
England with eighteen sisters upon the outbreak of the Revolution of that year
to look after the many homeless children suffering from the Irish potato
famine. The sisters founded the first Catholic Orphanage in England since the
By 1952, the Orphanage had
closed and was replaced by Our Lady's Secondary Modern School. This school
closed in 1982.
After much research of
children's needs in the community today and a major fund-raising campaign, Saint
Mary's Family Centre was opened by the Congregation of Our Lady of Fidelity in November 1992 by our patron
the late Lord Weatherill.